Oh, life has so many pleasures. In no particular order:
- Book club – I just love going to our monthly book club. I joined through a friend’s friend and it is such a fantastic escape once a month. This is the format of the meeting: (1) We arrive at the pub (just a few blocks up the road from me, so I am the only one who doesn’t need to drive) and get a glass of wine. (2) As soon as there are is a quorum (not formally of course) of 2 people, we start to natter. (3) Once everyone is there, we continue to natter, catching up on what everyone has done over the past month. (4) Then we talk about the book. Often, not everyone has read it for whatever reason. Some are better than others at reading the books. I am not too bad. I try most books, although I must admit to giving up on Doris Lessing’s Shikasta and Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall, but other than that I think I have read them all. (5) Once we have had a quick chat about the book, we chat about what other books we have read, have wanted to read or have heard of. (6) Finally we try to remember whose turn it is to pick the next book. Eventually we work it out – sort of – and then put the person whose turn it is on the spot to pick a book. We have had some great books. In fact, one of the things I love about it is that you read books you wouldn’t otherwise.
- Afternoon tea. I am really looking forward to having afternoon tea at a posh Country Home with Tim and Sue, his sister, at the end of the month. She is coming up for a family party, but we have decided to indulge fully and go for tea en route. It is something I love and wish we did more often!
- Cycling. I bought Tim a new bike for his birthday, so we had to try out the new goods. We haven’t been out on our bikes this summer and I forgot how much I actually love it.
- Sushi. I have a permanent sushi craving that can’t be satisfied. As soon as I have sushi, I start thinking about how long it will be before I will have it again. I love it, I love it, I love it. I think I could eat it every day.
- John Sankey furniture. As most of you know, I am a bargain hunter by nature. My whole house is furnished from ebay, car boot sales, charity shops, clearance sales and more. However, there are some things that I am willing to spend money on. And one of those things is John Sankey furniture. We already have 2 chairs from the range, but have wanted one of their sofas for ages. Eventually we gave in and ordered their Mitford sofa. I think it is going to look lovely in our lounge
- Eggs. Hmmn, I guess people would be surprised by this entry. But in fact, it is such a great pleasure in my life that I shall dedicate a full blog post to them ….