Last year I did the 2012 Challenge, where I visited the Top 10 cafés in Manchester, and wrote about them. A number of people told me that they loved it – and now miss the regular articles about cafés in the area.
Well, I have put my thinking cap on. Altrincham and Hale have seen a number of new cafés in the past year, so I am sure I can do a local version. So here is the plan:
Alty and Hale Cafe (and Eggs Benedict) Challenge
- List the cafés. I shall try and put together a complete list of independent cafés in Altrincham and Hale, and ask you to help fill in the gaps. Restaurants don’t count I am afraid. And neither to café chains like Costa / Starbucks / Café Nero etc.
- Visit them. I shall visit each café on the list – aiming to visit 1-2 per week. Generally I shall visit at lunch time, but if they have Eggs Benedict on their breakfast menu, I shall return for a second visit to try the Eggs Benedict.
- Eggs Benedict Challenge. Ever since EAT CAFÉ closed down in Altrincham years ago, I have been unable to find Eggs Benedict anywhere to match their delicious and authentic recipe. The only place that rivalled them, was a café in New York! I would like to find the local Eggs Benedict Champion and crown them king. And of course we’ll spread the word on their behalf. I have just been reminded that I actually wrote about the demise of Eggs Benedict in Altrincham before.
- Cake Gallery, Stamford Road, Bowdon
- Oxford Road Café, Oxford Road, Altrincham
- Y McGregor, Stamford New Road, Altrincham
- Pronto Cafe, Hale Road, Hale
- Hale Café Bar, Ashley Road, Hale
- Red House Farm Shop, Dunham Massey
- Café Gourmand, Ashley Road, Hale
- Gastronomy, Ashley Road, Hale
- Kings Café, Kings Court, Altrincham
- The Little Deli Company, Stamford Park Road, Altrincham
- Bap, George Street, Altrincham
- The Fab Patisserie, The Downs, Altrincham
- Lavendar Barn, Dunham
- Pitta Crêpe, Stamford Square, Altrincham
- Beatnik, Greenwood Street, Altrincham
- Blue Dog Bar, Ashley Road, Altincham
- Cafe Smithy, Hale Road, Hale Barns
Please do let me know which ones are missing.